UNIVERSITY / INSTITUTE: Purdue University
CLASS / COURSE: Leadership Process
Title: Chapter 12 Quiz
1. Acceptance of a decision is not always critical for implementation.
2. The four contingency theories presented have all of the following common assumptions except
1. They are theories rather than just someone's opinion
2. They assume the leader can diagnose key aspects
3. They all assume leaders can act in a flexible manner
4. They all assume a correct match between situational and follower characteristics and leaders' behaviors have a positive effect on group outcomes
3. The normative decision model shifts focus away from the situation and the followers to the leader.
4. If a decision has a rational or objectively determinable "better or worse" alternative, the leader should select the better alternative. This refers to
1. Strategic agility
2. Decision acceptance
3. Problem solving
4. Decision quality
5. According to Fiedler's contingency model, the content of leadership training should emphasize behavioral flexibility in leaders rather than situational engineering.
6. Which of the following statements about the normative decision model is true?
1. The model shifts focus away from the leader and followers to the situation
2. For ease of presentation, each factor has been placed solely within one circle or another
3. It organizes concepts in a familiar initiating structure
4. It is about personal opinions, rather than a leadership theory
7. Position power is not a characteristic of the leader but of the situation the leader finds himself or herself in.
8. What should leaders first assess in order to apply the situational leadership model?
1. The level of task and relationship behavior that has the best chance of producing successful outcomes
2. The readiness level of the follower relative to the task to be accomplished
3. The follower's current level of readiness and then determining the leader behavior that best suits the follower in that task
4. The behavior pattern that would fit the follower if that follower were one level higher in readiness
9. The path-goal theory assumes that leaders use the same styles with different subordinates.
10. In terms of the four leadership styles of situational leadership, a high task/low relationship behavior is referred to as
11. According to path-goal theory, followers will actively support a leader as long as they view the leader's actions as a means for increasing their own levels of satisfaction.
12. Which of the following statements about leadership is true?
1. Situational leadership theory maintains that leaders are very consistent in their behavior
2. Situational leadership theory maintains that leaders' effectiveness is primarily determined by changing the situation to fit the particular leader's style
3. The contingency model emphasizes flexibility in leader behaviors
4. The contingency model suggests that leader effectiveness is primarily determined by selecting the right kind of leader for a certain situation
13. Both leader behaviors and follower characteristics are important in determining outcomes in path-goal theory.
14. Fiedler's contingency theory uses which of the following instruments to determine the relevant characteristic of the leader?
1. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
2. The California Personality Inventory
3. The Least Preferred Coworker Scale
4. The Five Factor Personality Inventory
15. In path-goal theory, redundant leader behaviors might be interpreted by followers as an attempt by the leader to exert excessive control.
16. The highest levels of situational favorability occur when
1. Leader-member relations are good, the task is structured and position power is high
2. There are high levels of leader-member conflict, the task is unstructured and the leader does not have the power to reward/punish subordinates
3. Leader-member relations are good, the task is unstructured and position power is low
4. There are high levels of leader-member conflict, the task is structured and the leader has the power to reward/punish subordinates
17. The normative decision model has been established to be an all encompassing theory.
18. Leaders exhibiting participative leadership
1. Are very similar to the task behaviors from SLT
2. Are very similar to the relationship behaviors in SLT
3. Engage in the behaviors that mark consultative and group behaviors
4. Would be seen as both demanding and supporting in interactions with their followers
19. In situational leadership, ‘follower readiness' refers to a follower's ability and willingness to accomplish a particular task.
20. In terms of the path-goal theory, which of the following is considered a situational factor?
1. The decision quality
2. Leader-member relations
3. Position power
4. The task
Completed Solution is attached. Click on Buy button and then download file to get full solution.
SUBJECTS / CATEGORIES:
1. Human Resource
2. Organizational Behavior