UNIVERSITY / INSTITUTE: Purdue University
CLASS / COURSE: Leadership Process
Title: Chapter 13 Quiz
1. Leaders act to optimize their part of the organization at the expense of suboptimizing the organization's overall effectiveness in siloed thinking.
2. In comparing managers to leaders, which of the following is most likely true?
1. Leadership is concerned with doing the right thing, management is concerned with doing things right
2. Leaders maintain the status quo, managers challenge the status quo
3. Leadership involves maintaining the current state of affairs, whereas management involves changing the way things are
4. Leaders are more likely to take a short-term view, managers are more apt to take a long-term view
3. The D and M components of the change model are the hardest for leadership practitioners to accomplish.
4. According to Beer's model for organizational change, leaders can increase the amount of change by
1. Increasing the amount of resistance in followers
2. Decreasing the level of dissatisfaction
3. Having no change plan
4. Increasing the clarity of vision
5. The rational approach provides leaders with a siloed thinking process on how to drive change.
6. What is the "fuel" for organizational change?
1. Organization's goals
2. Follower's emotions
4. Building trust
7. Charismatic leaders are thought to possess superhuman qualities or powers of divine origin that sets them apart from ordinary mortals.
8. Which of the following statements is false?
1. A vision helps the organization make choices about what it should and should not do
2. A vision statement does not have to be a solo effort on the part of the leader
3. A vision is the final destination for an organization
4. Oftentimes leaders will work with a team of followers to craft a vision statement
9. Transactional leadership is very common but tends to be transitory.
10. In this stage of coping with change, you start to question whether the company really knew what it was doing by letting you go and perhaps rationalize that they will probably be calling you back.
11. Charismatic leaders recognize the shortcomings of a present order and offer an imaginative vision to overcome them.
12. Management skills are important for
1. Coaching followers on how to do things differently
2. Determining a new vision for the organization
3. Increasing dissatisfaction
4. Reviewing progress on change plans
13. A personalized leadership style seems to be responsible for the feelings of empowerment.
14. Transactional leadership
1. Occurs when a person possesses authority not because of tradition, but because of the laws that govern the position occupied
2. Serves to change the status quo by appealing to followers' values and their sense of higher purpose
3. Occurs when the traditions of society dictate who has authority and how this authority can be used
4. Occurs when leaders and followers are in some type of exchange relationship in order to get needs met
15. Charisma is probably more a function of the leader's personal characteristics than of the followers' reactions to a leader.
16. According to research, the leader's vision is
1. Consistent with current realities
2. Usually presented in written form so subordinates can study it
3. Often depressing (in the short run) for the subordinates who must change their view
4. Often a collaborative effort
17. Emotions are often the fuel driving large-scale initiatives for change.
18. Which of the following statements about transformational leaders is true?
1. They are inherently future-oriented
2. Their vision is based solely on their own values
3. They sometimes take credit for others' accomplishments
4. They tend to be emotionally expressive
19. Bass's theory of transformational and transactional leadership is based on surveys and correlational studies.
20. The FFM personality dimension of agreeableness most strongly correlates with which component of transformational leadership?
1. Inspiring trust
2. Visionary thinking
3. Empowering others
4. High impact delivery
Completed Solution is attached. Click on Buy button and then download file to get full solution.
SUBJECTS / CATEGORIES:
1. Human Resource
2. Organizational Behavior